Dr. Jack Pevenstein, PE, FLC-MA Regional Coordinator
Dr. Walter Copan, Director, NIST
- Importance of the Federal T2 mission;
- the importance of building bridges and a T2 Infrastructure to the Federal T2 mission
- T2 is a “contact sport”
Building State and Local Economic Development Bridges with Federal Labs and the Private Sector
Speaker: Ms. Christy Blake, Special Projects Manager, Montgomery County (MD) Economic Development Corporation (MCEDC)
- How can state and local governments interact with both resident Federal labs and private firms to support and enable an economic environment favorable to T2?
- Experiences of NIST working with Maryland through TEDCO and Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation to promote T2
- Increase state and local government awareness of economic opportunities offered to entrepreneurs and businesses by MA Federal labs through T2
Building Organizational Bridges between the private sector, the academic community and Federal labs
- Charles (Chuck) Na, NIST/TPO
- Stephen Auvil, Sr. VP, T2 & Commercialization, TEDCO
- Mechanisms for outreach by FLC-MA and by individual labs to private sector firms.
- Education of managers and technical professionals about T2 as a private sector asset.
- How to make Federal easier to work with.
- Update organizational policies to promote T2 through collaboration among Federal labs, State and local governments, academic institutions and private firms; demonstrate support for T2 by organization executives.
Building Individual Bridges between individuals in both Federal labs and the Private Sector
Moderator: Dr. Jack Pevenstein, PE
- Abba Poliakoff
- John Fraser
- Phil Usatine
- Ben Solomon
- Ron Kaese
- Define the nature of the communications bridges
- Can a common language for T2 activities be developed for use across relevant professional and organizational boundaries?
- The importance of “speaking” T2 for post-docs and early career professionals seeking career opportunities
What’s Going on With the FLC?
John Dement, FLC Chair
Building T2 Career Bridges for workforce development
Moderator: Ms. Fizzie Haleem
- Dr. Sanjay Rai, Montgomery College – (workforce development/certification)
- Steve Ferguson, FAES/NIH Office of the Director – (tech transfer training/certification)
- Claudia Morrell, STEM Equity Initiative – (diversity in STEM hiring)
- Martin Rosendale, Maryland Tech Council – (tech job board)
- Dr. Lori Conlan, NIH Post Doc Services – (post doc conference/hiring/skills preparation)
- Retention of high-tech workforce
- Tech transfer training & education
- Make temporary employees, e.g., post-docs, associates aware of career opportunities in Federal labs, academia, private sector
- Training & certification of T2 professionals
Building Bridges Within Federal Labs Among Personnel
Speaker: Dr. Robert Griesbach, USDA-ARS
- Communications among the scientific & engineering (technical) staff
- Communications between the technical staff and managers/administrators
- Mutual respect and appreciation for each other’s professions and missions
- Appreciation of the Federal T2 mission by mid-level managers and scientific & technical staff
Artificial Intelligence (AI) as a tool for building T2 bridges and infrastructure
Moderator: Dr. Jack Pevenstesin, P.E.
Professor Dean Alderucci, Director, Center for AI and Patent Analysis (CAPA), Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science
- What is CMU doing in CAPA
- AI potential to enable networking in support of Federal T2
- What kinds of T2-related data are required to take advantage of AI in support of T2 networking.
- Patent analysis with AI algorithms has the potential of being a powerful tool to support the Federal T2 mission.
- Analyze for “Freedom-to-Operate,” fields of use, competitive
- Support market assessments; fields of use analysis
- Cross-correlated information clusters (products of value to T2 professionals)
Human Interest Panel
John Emond, NASA (retired)
Dr. Robert Griesbach, USDA
Dr. Berma Lygur
Dr. George Wagner, U.S. Army Combat Command
Specific personal examples where a technology has had an impact on a person’s life or the collective lives of a community.
Building Communication Bridges to relate importance of T2 to the “general” public
Dr. Rob Griesbach, USDA-ARS
- Developing communication tools and outreach initiatives that help the public see the link or bridge between tech transfer and their community
- Outreach activities: already occurred and will continue
- LabTech in Your Life
Mr. Jeff Galvin, CEO, AGT
FLC-MA Awards Ceremony
Carmen Krieger, Deputy FLC-MA Regional Coordinator
Lunch and Networking
Attracting the private sector: How to build informal relationships with Federal labs; a prelude to more formal collaboration
Moderator: Mr. John Fraser
- Dr. Rob Griesbach, ARS/USDA
- Mojdeh Bahar, ARS/USDA
- Rich Bendis, BioHealth Innovation
- Identifying mutual interests
- Identify the potential for economic/commercial impact
- Identify individuals interested in collaboration
- What can you [your organization] offer?
Concurrent networking for post-doc and early career scientists, engineers and technical professionals with the private sector (as interest prevails)
Moderator: Ron Kaese, TEDCO Manager of Federal Programs
- Representatives of regional state and local governments
- Exhibitors from private sector
- Technology Entrepreneurs & Venture Capital Firms
- Post-Docs & early career technical professionals attending
- Identify alternative career opportunities in technology entrepreneurship
- Assess the technology-related career opportunities in the Mid-Atlantic (MA) region
- Learn about state and local government initiatives to attract and retain technology-related businesses in the MA region, an to retain a qualified workforce
Ice Cream Social and Networking